As the days start to lengthen, most people would rather spend time outside than in the kitchen. Not only does this one-pot recipe from Woman’s Day Kitchen take no more than 25 minutes to prepare, it is healthy, tasty, nutritious, AND low in calories.
- 12 oz. penne pasta
- 8 oz. green beans, trimmed and halved
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2 in chunks
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp half-and-half
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 1 oz parmesan, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- Cook pasta per package directions, adding green beans to the pot during the last minute. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water; drain, then return pasta and green beans to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium, cook bacon until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate and break into pieces when cool. Discard all but 1 Tbsp bacon drippings and return pan to medium.
- Cook chicken until golden brown and cooked through, tossing once, 6 to 8 minutes; remove from heat and toss with lemon juice. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and half-and-half. Toss egg mixture with pasta and green beans, then fold in chicken, spinach, Parmesan, and 1/4 cup pasta water, tossing to coat and adding more pasta water if needed. Fold in scallions and top with bacon.