Looking into the future is one of the most important things you can do as a family caregiver. While it is important to spend quality time with your senior now, and focus on giving them the highest quality of life, it is also critical that you are aware of the changes that can come in the future, and are prepared for them. Whether your senior is currently living with a progressive disease such as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s, has other health difficulties, or you simply want to be ready, making plans and decisions now will put both you and your parents at ease. One that may be challenging, but could be particularly beneficial, is whether you should plan for your senior to move in with you and your family in the future. There are many aspects to this decision, and you want to make sure you are making the one that is right for your aging parent, and for you.
Some things to consider when determining whether you should plan for your aging parent to move into your home with you and your family in the future include:
- Do you live at a distance from your parent, and may not be able to give them the care they need?
- Is their home accessible to them according to their needs and challenges?
- Does your parent feel safe and secure in their home alone?
- Does your parent have a progressive disease that will require more extensive care in the future?
- Is your home closer to medical teams and others your parent might need to manage their challenges?
- Does your home have the space to comfortably accommodate your parent without causing a serious disruption to the rest of your family?
- Is your parent comfortable with fitting into the routine, schedule, and rules of your household, and your family?
- Is the rest of your family prepared for the challenges of including a new family member?
Being a family caregiver for an aging adult can be overwhelming, but you are not alone. Senior care is available to help you handle all of your senior challenges and needs in the ways that are right for them. Through a set of specially-designed customer services, a senior home care services provider can help your parent to manage their specific challenges and needs in the ways that are right for them, pursue their interests, stay more active, enjoy more independence, and experience an overall higher quality of life. Not only does this reassure you your senior is getting everything they need, but it also allows you to take a step back and focus on the other aspects of your life that need you, such as your children, your marriage, your career, and even yourself.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering senior care in Burien, WA, please contact the caring staff at Wiser Care Services. Phone: (877) 279-5530. Serving all of Pierce County and South King County.