It is official. We have made it through winter, and SPRING is here! Spring is a wonderful time. Flowers bloom, birds return, and animals come out of hibernation. It is a time of renewal. As caregivers, let’s follow natures example and renew as well. Spring is an excellent chance for us to shake up our routines.
Fun Spring Activities For the Elderly
To help you renew your routine, we have compiled a list of fun things you can do with the seniors you care for.
- Feed the ducks at a local lake or pond.
- Plant seeds. Flowers and herbs can be excellent, easy-to-manage choices. This can be done indoors in pots or outside.
- Take a walk in the warming weather.
- Fly a kite.
- Have lunch outside.
- Paint or decorate a flower pot. Terra cotta is an excellent choice, but also heavy. If you find that weight is an issue, you can use plastic pots as well. They are light and inexpensive.
- Set up a bird feeder and bird watch.
- Create a flower arrangement. Use either fresh or fake flowers to bring spring indoors.
- Do some simple spring cleaning. Spring is a great time to go through your things and organize them, or get rid of anything you don’t need.
- Tell a joke!
After a long and at times gloomy winter, any of these activities are sure to brighten the days of those you care for. Embrace spring! Think about all the wonderful things about this season. The colors, the promise of hope, being outdoors, the fresh clean air; all of these things can inspire us as caregivers. The journalist Doug Larson once said, “Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush.” Anyone who lives in the Pacific Northwest knows this to be true. Despite the slush in our shoes, spring is a happy time. Let’s pass that happiness on to the seniors we care for.
Wiser Home Care Services Can Help
If you care for an elderly loved one and would like help developing a care plan please feel free to contact us. We can help your family establish a care plan to personally accommodate your loved one’s needs.